Assistance, Retirement, and Student Aid

Need information on assistance, retirement, veterans services or student aid? Check out these links for more information.

Disaster Assistance

This government site helps you determine if your address is in a declared disaster area. It also links to local FEMA and Red Cross centers. Click the logo to get started.


Social Security Administration (SSA)

The SSA manages social security payments, which includes retirement, disability, and survivor benefits that are paid in through a payroll tax on your wages. This page includes tools to understand your contributions so far and estimate future payments. In order to start receiving retirement benefits, like with Medicare, you need to enroll. Here is the link to the SSA online application for receiving retirement benefits.



Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA is a free student aid application managed by the U.S. Department of Education. Most colleges and universities encourage students to fill out this application as part of their process for determining finanial aid. Aid packages typically include a combination of grants (money you don't have to pay back), loans, and work-study funds.


U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administers all benefits for U.S. military veterans, their families, and survivors. This includes health care, educational, and burial benefits. The VA Applying for Benefits page covers the different kinds of benefits and how to apply for each.


Iowa Department of Human Services

The Iowa Department of Human Services makes a positive difference in the lives of Iowans by helping residents achieve healthy, safe, stable, and self-sufficient lives through the programs and services they provide. Click on the logo to find out more about assistance to individuals and families that are available.