In June of 1909, a display of 185 books was placed in charge of Miss Blanche Cooley in her story in Wall Lake. By 1935, the library was located in the northeast corner of City Hall where it expanded to two rooms in 1937. In 1981, John Goodenow donated 82 shares from the Exchange State Bank in Exira, Iowa to the City of Wall Lake for a new library. H.F. Schroeder bought the Exchange State Bank shares from John Goodenow and paid $100,000 for the city's 82 shares. In July of 1981, the City of Wall Lake purchased the Wall Lake Savings Bank building for use as a library. The Wall Lake Public Library opened in 1983 in the current building.